Friends of Zimmerscheidt Historic School


Nonprofit Organization

About Us

The Zimmerscheidt School was named for Fredrick and Margaret Zimmerscheidt who arrived in the Republic of Texas. They applied for a league of land in Austin Colony on the east side of Cummins Creek. Texas Governor, Elisha M Pease , signed a bill setting up the Texas public school system on January 31, 1854. On April 25, 1854, the Commissioners Court of Colorado County established school districts in the County. The Zimmerscheidt School was included in District #8.

The Serviceman's Readjustment Act of 1944- commonly known as the GI Bill of Rights provided funds for education. In 1948, World War II veterans bought lumber and finished the ceiling and the walls and installed electricity. They had meetings there twice a week. They also built a workshop behind the schoolhouse where they had training classes for technical skills such as welding, construction, engine repair and farm equipment operation and repair. The twenty -five veterans used this building until 1952.

Friends of Zimmerscheidt Historic School was formed in order to save the historic one room schoolhouse that served the community for years in many forms.


Gallery Image Friends%20of%20Zimmerscheidt%202.jpg
Gallery Image Friends%20of%20Zimmerscheidt%203.jpg
Gallery Image Friends%20of%20Zimmerscheidt%204.jpg